Welcome
Welcome to <strong>My Scene Hangout</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Shrinking doll heads with acetone???

Here's a place to talk about the girls with the passion for fashion, Bratz, and other dolls besides My Scene including Barbie and Fashion Royalty.

Moderator: Impy

Shrinking doll heads with acetone???

Postby cjstarz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:22 pm

So I was going through my flickr mail today and I pal of mine asked me if I have tried shrinking big headed dolls (like Fashionista Artsy) with acetone! The thought of it sounded REALLY odd to me. The first thing I thought of was the make up coming off. My first response to him was that whoever told him that was lying...but he shot me a link to the person that tried it. Low and behold...it was a Artsy with a reduced head!! The poster said you have to soak the head in acetone overnnight, take it out and let it sit/dry for two days after. I had NEVER heard of this before!! He also said while it's wet do NOT touch the face or bye-bye face paint. Has anyone tried this? I'm really curious of the results and just how much a person can get the head to shrink. I have no idea how to control the size of the shrinking...wonder if it works to scale down My Scene! Fascinating!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18205259@N07/4230882641/
cjstarz

Re: Shrinking doll heads with acetone???

Postby Maddy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:52 pm

I wouldn't try this unless it's a trash doll. What are the long term effects on the face paint? The acetone can also dissolve the synthetic hair fibers. I viewed this guys flickr page and the dolls are impressive. He also says this method makes the heads hard.I have also been told that the deep freezing method works but I've never tried that either.
Maddy

Postby Max » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:49 pm

I wouldn't do it personally. If it's a doll you can easily replace, then go for it.
Max

Postby cjstarz » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:12 pm

Well I just had to try it..being that I'm all about taking risks ;) I put a Bratz Sasha, My Scene Madison and one of the Rebelde girls heads to the test. The experiment isn't done yet since I just took them out of the acetone soaking this morning..but I can tell it I was very surprised to see a HUGE Bratz head, big M.S and big Rebelde girl. The acetone makes them inflate..but with time it's supposed to shrink. The Bratz head was a goner the moment the head was put in the acetone. Paint came off right away.The hair rooting around her head split open too so it's a wrap for her! The other two held up a lot better but the lip paint is gone on both of them. They still have their eyes tho. I'll report back in a couple days to share the shrinkage for the other two heads and I'll include pics :)
cjstarz

Postby kingkevin » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:00 pm

neato! did you take before pics to compare to the after pics?
kingkevin

Postby cjstarz » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:23 pm

kingkevin wrote:neato! did you take before pics to compare to the after pics?

Nah..I figured most would be familiar enough with the original sizes. Might do side by side comparisons with similar sizes tho.
cjstarz

Postby Max » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:16 pm

I can't wait to see the results!
Max

Postby bjoinks » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:23 pm

OMG guys its effective!!!! me and my hubby tried this on a myscene head!
it works! we used an acetone with 20% content so it took us a week to get the head shrunk!
the difference with a normal myscene head (on a belly button body) the whole doll's height will shorten to 1/2" :) really works! :)

the only thing is that the head will get hard! and the hair will tangle & dry up a bit but i think we can use a hair conditioner to fix that. :) and good news the face paint wasnt ruined. the only thing that happened is it killed paint that has color red tone, so the doll's lips turned to brown but i think guys you can do a little retouching! :) goodluck with your experiments :)
It's okay to go with the flow, as long as it takes you forward ~ Nana Oosaki
bjoinks

Postby Max » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:55 pm

Show some pics! I wanna see! :D
Max

Postby NattySeal » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:59 pm

Oooh, maybe I should think about recasting Top Model Cycle 2 if My Scene heads can shrink down to Barbie playline size. :D
NattySeal

Postby bjoinks » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:39 am

I'll post pics soon..

But the smallest size a myscene head can shrink to is up to the big fashion fever head size.

(me and my hubby is hoping that it can shrink to a steffie facemold size but not...) :)
bjoinks

Postby cjstarz » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:32 am

I'm so sorry you guys I've been so busy lately and haven't been able to post pics of my experiment yet either. I was also trying it on a couple other heads to see if I could get better results and I actually ruined a few dolls in the process :( I have one successful M.S head and one Rebelde head that worked so far :)
cjstarz

Postby cjstarz » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:47 am

bjoinks wrote:OMG guys its effective!!!! me and my hubby tried this on a myscene head!
it works! we used an acetone with 20% content so it took us a week to get the head shrunk!
the difference with a normal myscene head (on a belly button body) the whole doll's height will shorten to 1/2" :) really works! :)

the only thing is that the head will get hard! and the hair will tangle & dry up a bit but i think we can use a hair conditioner to fix that. :) and good news the face paint wasnt ruined. the only thing that happened is it killed paint that has color red tone, so the doll's lips turned to brown but i think guys you can do a little retouching! :) goodluck with your experiments :)

20% acetone..why didn't I think of that??!! I was just using pure acetone and several of my heads ripped open while soaking overnight. Sounds like it takes longer..but if the results are a little more controlled then that might be a better way to go!
cjstarz

Postby bjoinks » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:21 am

honestly it was an accident, the only acetones available here in our place are the 20% ones. I was like, what the heck there's still acetone in it...

The first few days when we soaked the head nothing happened. We lost hope. So we just left the head soaked hoping that something will just happen, lo and behold we noticed that the head shrunk :)
bjoinks

Postby Max » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:51 pm

I want pics! I'm curious to see what a shrunken My Scene head looks like.
Max

Postby fionabrigade » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:52 pm

this thread is worthless without pics.
the filthiest people alive
fionabrigade

Postby bjoinks » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:30 am

Tada...here's our experiment!
honestly i like the new myscene head size better. :) but eventually the head hardens after it dries. almost silkstone-hard.

we also tried it with the fashionista artsy head along with a sassy head for comparison. :)

bjoinks

Postby NattySeal » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:50 am

Yay! Pics! Thanks for sharing, bjoinks! So the new size of the shrunken My Scene head is around Sassy's head size?
NattySeal

Postby Max » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:48 am

I dont like the mini My Scene head. It looks so odd!
Max

Postby kingkevin » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:58 pm

i love the smaller my scene head. its realistic but still cartoony! NICE!
Maybe Ill try this now. 20% acetone and 80% water for two days????
kingkevin

Postby serena-hime » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:31 pm

thats so cool.
it would be really good for my scene model muses,since big heads look weird on mms.
serena-hime

Postby Max » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:25 pm

I have to say this topic in and of itself proves how much the times have changed. In the 80s and 90s the thought of having to shrink a doll's head was unheard of. Now it's almost become a need becaus ethe heads have gotten so huge.

Granted, I like my Bratz and My Scene dolls with big heads. But I will never understand why Mattel decided to give Barbie and the Disney Princesses large heads. And yet for other doll lines like S.I.S, the heads retained a normal size.
Max

Postby turquoise13 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:10 am

Whoa, amazing!

Maybe they increase the head size coz of Bratz...
Image Image
turquoise13

Postby iRyan » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:35 pm

Can someone give step by step instructions of how to do this and also where to buy acetone? It would be very helpful!

How hard are the heads? Like Bratz hard?
iRyan

Postby sailorb1959 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:02 am

Hi yall,

at the moment we are exspirementing with the shrinking heads! we have soaked a my scene chelsea head over nihgt in acetone and lets just say her head is HUGE and super squishy haha! we only had enough acetone for her head so now that we took chelsea out were re using her acetone on a liv doll head which is soaking right now and i swear the liv head got like sooo big so far even though it had only been siting in for a while so just though i would inform yall about my progress :D btw i will be posting pictures on flickr once the process is done btw we will also be shrnking a bratz head soon :D
Sailorb1959
sailorb1959

Next

Return to All Non-My Scene